Thursday, April 19, 2012


A good feeling during Zumba is when the teacher or another student watches you to follow your movements. You can see them looking at you out of the corner of their eyes.  The teacher looks when she does the turn from facing away from the class to facing towards the class and has to pick up the correct moves in her new position.  The student looks because they are maybe new or lost.  It’s only happened to me a few times but when it does it feels like I am the boss of greatness.  Like they trust I know what the heck I am doing with my body.  Joke is on them. 

Tonight I kept getting caught up in the "counting" of the moves, trying to use my mind to tell my body what to do.  Watching the teacher, talking to my body about how to move like the teacher.  Then I realized, like in every dance type movie ever made and also Star Wars, that I just have to 'use the force, Luke,' close my eyes and FEEL the music.  Let my body do what the MUSIC was telling it to do, not my mind.  I pretended I was at some sort of dance audition.  40 of us on stage and only 10 WOULD MAKE THE CUT AND I HAD TO BE ONE OF THEM.  It was very Showgirls or Michael Jackson's, This is It.  Yes, I pretend things during Zumba class.  You are welcome.  

The first session of Zumba is over.  It was three four months long.  I am still moderately uncoordinated.  All I’m saying is thank God that room does not have mirrors.  There are some things about myself I don’t need to see and a Whitney Houston-level sweating, awkwardly sexy move making, badly salsa-ing me is not one of them.

I will sign up for the next session which I presume will last just as long.  I think it is working wonders on my thighs/hips/assicle regions which are exactly where I need the wonders to be working.  If I could stab those areas with rulers, I know I would be at least 3-4 inches deep in fatty tissue.  Good thing I don’t have any sharp rulers lying around.

Aren’t posts about Zumba exciting?!?  All Zumba, all the time!  I’m pretty sure I’ve run out of material though…although with the new session starting there will be new uncomfortable and awkard moves I may have to write about.  Some new kooky songs.  New wacky co-Zumba-ers.  Hmmm....  Maybe I will have more blog material after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment