Tuesday, November 30, 2010

What would you do if you could eat all of the fruit you wanted? Would you start with mangos and pineapple or go straight for the traditional bananas, apples and oranges?

I think I would start with different varieties of melons cut into colorful cubes, a mélange of radiant sweetness awaiting my gaping maw. I think, after I tired of melon, I would move into the mangos, the pineapples, the grapes. Maybe after those I’d go on a berry binge. Berries can be mixed into things; curdled dairy products or flakes of corn. Pies. You know the drill. Summer fruits would rule a long couple of months for me; peaches, plums, nectarines, etc. I would squish the overly ripe ones in my fists before throwing them over cliffs, into landfills, into oceans, rivers, storm drains. I love summer fruits and how you can feel the heat trapped in their skins. It’s like eating the sweat of the sun.

Pomegranates?

Leechees?

Passion fruit?

I don’t know. Put them on a pretty dish. Serve them to me while wearing lingerie. I’ll think about it. But eventually I know I’m going back to the basics; apples, oranges, bananas. They have never let me down. I trust in them; my fruit friends. Like on Seinfeld. But with peels.

2 comments:

  1. Have I told you about my motivational speech about the mighty strawberry? BEHOLD THE STRAWBERRY!

    ReplyDelete